Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Black History Month Performance and Other Things

So this post will be a short one. It'll be about the Diversity and Inclusion Black History Month Performance, the Sea Olympics, and me being a super sailor which all happened in the 5 day transit from Vietnam to Myanmar about a week ago.

So, the black history month performance was amazing. We had poems, dance, slave letters, stepping and a lot more people than we expected stayed to watch the performance. It was right after our cultural pre-port for Myanmar which talked about all cultural and social issues in Myanmar. We also had a monk from Myanmar on our voyage and he was there to watch our performance. But yea, the performance started from African Royalty with one of the professors on the ship, then there was poems and slave letters, then african dance, then stepping (which i performed in), then more recent poems and then a final song.

The day before was the Sea Olympics which is like a day off class where we have a ton of activities and we're separated into our seas (which is determined by where we live on the ship and then the professors, faculty, kids all had their own sea). There was 3 on 3 basketball on the basketball court that was just built about 2 weeks ago now. Also, it wasnt real basketball because there was no out of bounds and people were like playing football and just tackling each other. Everyone who played got turf burns from diving on the ball or being thrown to the ground. But there was also tug of war, a lip sync, musical chairs, and synchronized swimming which were all scattered throughout the day started at 1300 and lip sync being our last activity at 2000. I was a sea captain, meaning I had to do some extra administrative stuff for events and get my sea energized during events. It was a ton of fun.

And finally, during our logistical pre-port I was recognized as a super sailor which is: "Recognizing our Super Sailors: Email adminoffice@semesteratsea.org with names (first AND last) of those who have gone above and beyond to make this a wonderful voyage through random acts of kindness or overall positive energy" And so there was a raffle for the super sailors for a free smoothie and I won it! So that was a lot of fun.

My next post, which will hopefully be before I get to India. It will be the post about Myanmar. The reason I say hopefully is because I had a quiz yesterday, a midterm today, and have a 4 page single spaced report due in 2 days...so when I get all that dione, I'll write my post on Myanmar.

Until Then.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment