Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Day 2/ Orientation (1/6/16)



Today was awesome.

It was a pretty long day per usual, but fund nonetheless. We had orientation for the majority of the day, starting in the early morning and ending around 5 ish it think. Military time is still confusing. The orientation sessions were pretty boring and barely informative, but there was some useful information.

Things I learned today: My across the hall neighbor is awesome. We hung out during most of the sessions today until the seasickness started to hit her. Then she went to sleep for the rest of the night. Also my roommate was sea sick all day and missed the whole orientation programming. He’s graduating right after the program though and has already taken most of his classes so he’s chillin.
There are tons of clubs that were created this morning at 830 by students just for this voyage. At least 65% of them were either some type of dancing or exercising since our gym on the ship is so miniscule. But we did have an activity fair today after all the orientation things and dinner
Side note: at dinner I met a girl from Spain, another from Denmark, and another from Texas. So today was a pretty diverse experience I suppose.
Anyways, at the activity fair I signed up for a few clubs including a Spanish club, ping pong, sign language class so I could communicate better with the girl from Spain that happened to have progressive hearing loss. I also joined one of the workout things, but like 200 people signed up for it…so I’m not quite sure how that’s going to work especially with us being in such rough waters.
Also during the day I stood outside gazing into the water for at least a hour near the life boat things and it was so peaceful. I definitely saw a baby whale, so that was pretty cool.
Not much happened today because of the orientation sessions today that I might have fallen asleep in for a few minutes. But my first classes are tomorrow and we’re one day closer to Hawaii where I’m doing my first field lab with the ship, so that should be fun!
Tomorrow I have Intercultural Communication and my Emerging Markets class at 0930 and 1610. I’m excited to meet these professors that are apparently “the best of the best.” Welp, that’s all for today, hopefully tomorrow’s more exciting.
Quote of the day:
“I feel like I’m too busy writing history to read it”

No comments:

Post a Comment