Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Day 5 (1/9/16) A2



Anotha one!
There’s a ton of reading for each one of these classes I’m taking. Its reading and papers, then of course more reading. But for the most part I like Intercultural communications and I love my emerging markets class!
Learned a lot about Hawai’i (this is how it’s actually spelled) today too. Watched a movie on Hawai’i and talked to a girl from there after the movie and it’s pretty interesting how they have schools there now to reach teach the people about their culture. This is because when America came to take the island over they banned the Hawaiian language and also tried to hide the fact that America came in and violently took over the island. So that’s the fun fact for today. Look up the history of Hawai’i, it’ll surprise you.
In other news, the meeting for all ethnic groups is tomorrow at 1930 and I’m super excited to get something going for Black History Month here on the ship.
The synopsis of my day includes me waking up late again. Tomorrow I am actually waking up early though! I have a fool-proof plan! I’m having my neighbors come wake me up in the morning since they’re always up early anyway haha. Anyways, after waking up late I went to class and things. I was on the pool deck for about 1hr and 30min after class because its was a beautiful 75 outside today and fely like 85 in the sun. I was sitting around with some of the future BSU members and we were dancing, milly rockin and what not. Then we put some Ghanaian music pon the speaker and the Nigerian girl taught us a few moves. After that I was to my room and wrote a paper for the class I had earlier and I finished the reading for it to. Then I went to my second class of the day which was pretty chill, went to dinner afterwards and ate with my hallmates. After that we went to the auditorium room which fits everyone on the ship, and enjoyed listening to one of the girls in my hall play piano until the Hawaiian thing started. Watched that, studied with my BSU peoples for a bit, and now Im about to go to sleep.
Pretty good day yet again. I also think this will probably be the structure for my blogs going forward. Significant remarks, then a synopsis of my day, followed by my quote and other random things that are on my mind. Which reminds me, I have to find someone to go shopping for me in Hawai’i beucae my field lab takes up the entire day. Also we skip January 15th on the ship. Like we go from the 14th to the 16th of January which is a pretty mind blowing concept that reinforces that time is a man-made invention. But I digress.
As an American im starting to realize how blissfully ignorant I am about other cultures, world events and things like this. My thirst for knowledge has increased so much in the last week alone and I’m so excited to get to Hawai’i to have our culture meal and hear a lecture. Yep, I’m getting excited for a lecture, who am I now?!
Thank you all for tuning in as usual and I hope you’re enjoying hearing about my trip.
Quote of the day:
“you wont be successful until you want it as bad as you can breathe”

No comments:

Post a Comment